Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Antique Quilt..."to be or not to be...." for that is the question!

I am learning vintage fabrics, and can identify them fairly well from the 1930's through '70's, but I am still getting to know the earlier ones. The lady I purchased this quilt from, stated that it was an Antique...Victorian Bar Quilt. I do see old calicos, the really old feedsack on the back with the printed stamp, and I can tell it is the really old kind of batting. I would appreciate identification of some of the fabrics, dating it to the newest fabric.




















I had one reply from Sharon S., of www.rickrack.com, who pointed out the floral fabric near the edge as being from the 1930's. I have found the black print fabric listed as:
Black with bright textured overlays, 1880 - 1910, on pages 106 & 107, of
Dating Fabrics: A Color Guide 1800 - 1960 by Eileen Jahnke Trestain
(Sharon had recommended this book to me, and I luv it! I want to get the second book!)
But...you date a quilt by the newest fabric, not the oldest one, so although my quilt has fabrics that are 100 years old, it is a 1930's quilt. Maybe, that is a decrease in the dollar value of the quilt, but to me it is a great history of 'dating' fabrics!
This quilt is one I am facinated with, so it is a 'keeper'! :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment